3/25/11

Broadway Melody: So You Think You Can Dance?



I guess it was hard out there for a plain girl in 1929. The plot of The Broadway Melody of 1929 unfolds thusly: Girl and Boy are in love; Boy meets Girl's prettier sister; Boy and Pretty Sister fall in love and marry; Girl accepts her plain fate and lives the rest of her life alone. And this is presented to us as a happy ending. Geez.

I was pretty excited about watching the super-old movies when I started this race, but this one really wore on me. I am not a lover of the musical genre, and there wasn't much else in this film to keep me watching. But I did learn one thing: tap dancing is possible on pointe. Seriously, look at this madness (toe tapping starts at 0:45):


I wish I could find a longer version of that woman's performance -- the clip above is highly edited, but the original went on for a good several minutes. That's just crazy impressive, I don't care who you are.

Next up: All Quiet on the Western Front, which also happens to be the first title I recognize in the race so far. Looking forward to something a little meatier.

Best Picture Death Race: 2 down, 81 to go.
Seen so far:
1928: Wings
1929: The Broadway Melody

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Design by Wordpress Theme | Bloggerized by Free Blogger Templates | free samples without surveys